Knee Case 3 ED Management
Indications for surgery include:
- disruption of the extensor mechanism
- displaced (>3mm) transverse fractures
- skin compromise
The orthopedist should be contacted to arrange for surgery.
- are minimally displaced (2-3mm)
- have minimal articular surface disruption (2-3mm)
- have an intact extensor mechanism
These can be placed in a knee immobilizer or above-knee cast with the knee in full extension for 4-6 weeks. The patient should be made non-weightbearing and referred to see orthopedics in 1 week.